How To Get Rid Of Acne Scars
Many often wonder how to get rid of acne scars. Acne scars are a result of clogged pores that have become inflamed. The pore will then swell, which causes a break in the follicle wall. If the break is deep enough, it will cause a scar many times when the skin attempts to repair itself.
There are two types of acne scars, atrophic scars and hypertrophic scars. Atrophic scars are also referred to as depressed scars and develop when there is a loss of tissue. There are two kinds of atrophic scars- icebox scars, which are small in size but leave noticeable holes in the skin, and boxcar scars, which are oval or round in shape, with steep angled sides. Hypertrophic scars, or keloid scars, are caused when the body produces too much collagen, resulting in a raised mass of tissue on the skin’s surface.
Why should an individual want to treat acne scars?
There are many reasons as to why an individual would want to know how to get rid of acne scars. Getting rid of acne scars will allow a person to have more confidence with an improved appearance, and will promote better health of the skin.
One may wonder how to get rid of acne scars?
Knowing how to get rid of acne scars can often confuse individuals. However, there are many treatments available to help. Treatments that can help get rid of acne scars include fractional laser treatments, dermal fillers, and skin needling.
- Fractional laser treatment- A fractional laser treatment is a non-invasive procedure that uses a laser beam to target a specific region of the skin. It can be used on any part of the body. The treatment will target both the epidermis and the dermis. Before treatment, the skin will be washed with soap and water. An anaesthetic cream will be applied to the skin to numb it, and will be allowed to soak in for 45 to 60 minutes. The cream will then be removed, and a gliding gel will be applied to the skin. A full face will take about half an hour to treat. A cooling machine is utilized to help reduce the discomfort during the treatment. The skin will be pink in color after the treatment for 3 to 5 days. A mild sunburn sensation can often be felt for about an hour after the treatment. Swelling may occur but should subside within 2 to 3 days. Flaking of the skin will occur as the old skin peels off and new skin is replaced. Four to five treatments are usually needed, which will be spaced out about a month apart. Treatment is slow to progress but will be visible after about 3 to 4 months. Benefits of using fractional laser treatment include a short healing time of 7 to 10 days and results that are superior. Softer looking skin that appears to be younger can be a result. The treatment is best known for being very accurate, and since there is no crusting or bleeding of the skin, post operative complications are eliminated. It is a great option when wondering how to get rid of acne scars.
- Dermal fillers- Dermal fillers are extremely effective in treating different kinds of acne scars. Dermal fillers are very safe to use and are well tolerated by many individuals. They work well for volume loss that is caused by acne scarring. Every individual will need a different amount of filler used, which will be based on the individual’s scarring, the facial anatomy, and where the dermal filler will be used. A numbing cream will be applied topically to the skin after the skin is cleansed with alcohol. A very fine needle will be used to inject the dermal filler into the skin, and then pressure will be applied using gauze. Icing the skin will help with any pain that is associated with dermal fillers. Treated skin may be bruised, red, and swollen for the first 2 to 7 days. It is very important to avoid facials and massages to the face for up to 2 weeks after the procedure. Avoiding alcohol and strenuous exercising for 24 hours after the procedure is also crucial. Benefits of dermal fillers for acne scarring include very little pain, no downtime, dermal fillers may be used in conjunction with other facial treatments, they are very safe, are natural looking, and are long lasting.
- Skin Needling- Skin needling is another great option when looking how to get rid of acne scars. Skin needling is a procedure that utilises a micro needle device to deliver controlled injuries to the skin. This non-invasive procedure will create a micro channel each time the fine needle punctures the skin. New collagen will fill in these wounds. Skin needling is one of the safest ways for an individual to get rid of acne scars, and the procedure is very well tolerated. It takes a few minutes to perform or up to an hour, depending on the treatment area. A numbing cream will be applied to a clean face, and then the skin will be punctured with the micro needling device. For best results, the device will be rolled over the skin many times. Multiple treatments could be needed to received desired effects. Some individuals will only need 2 sessions, while others could need 5, depending on the severity of the acne scars. The sessions will be spaced out at least 6 weeks apart from one another. Benefits of having skin needling done are the procedure is suitable for those with sensitive or thin skin, it is a cost effective procedure, the epidermis will remain intact and will not be damaged, and the treatment can be done without expensive instruments. An individual will be able to resume activities within a few days as downtime is minimal.
How does one decide how to get rid of acne scars?
When one decides how to get rid of acne scars, an individual should consult with his or her dermatologist. The dermatologist will be able to offer an array of solutions based on the individual’s needs and wants. An individual should:
- Ask to see work the dermatologist has done. Ask if the dermatologist has a portfolio of before and after procedures they are willing to share with the patient. This will give the individual an idea of what work the dermatologist is capable of doing. If a dermatologist does not want to share this information, then finding a different one to perform the procedure is a good idea.
- Ask what results they expect to see with the treatment that is selected for the individual. Ask if there could be any complications, what the benefits will be, and how long recovery is expected for the treatment. Also find out if the procedure is cleared by the FDA.
- Ask how many times they have performed the procedure that was chosen. Ask who, if anyone, will be helping them with the procedure, and what training they have had.
- Ask if the dermatologist is a board certified dermatologist. Ask what the credentials are for each person that will be helping with any procedure taking place.
Knowing how to get rid of acne scars can be frustrating, but do know that a good dermatologist will always be willing to answer any questions an individual will have, and will also help to find the best solution to get rid of acne scars based on the individual.